Expert economic analysis for child support cases
Personal injury analysis and other economic damages
Life care plan projections
General economic consulting services
Web based software for financial applications
- “In-House” CLE Classes
Rogers Economics now conducts “in-house” CLE classes. Your staff can obtain CLE credits and training conveniently at your own offices. The current 4 hour CLE credit version can be presented on a schedule convenient to your staff. Call for details.
- Expert Testimony on Child Support Issues
Expert testimony is available for explaining deviations that apply to your client’s case. Analysis includes economic exhibits explaining how deviation amounts were calculated. The analysis also includes standard legal arguments used by other attorneys in conformance with statute and appellate opinion.
- High Income Cases
Rogers Economics specializes in analysis and exhibits for high income cases. Rogers Economics has provided expert support for both custodial and noncustodial parents in high income cases. Recent appellate opinion has made high income deviations more difficult to obtain in Georgia—requiring specific steps for the deviation.
- Independent Review
Rogers Economics can provide an independent review of proposed worksheets and proposed orders. Rogers Economics has more than a decade of experience working with attorneys to ensure that proposed awards conform to statutory procedure and have appropriate exhibits to support arguments.
- Basic Analysis for Child Support Worksheets
The Excel child support worksheet can be daunting at times. Rogers Economics can provide cost effective assistance in obtaining information from your client to populate the child support worksheet and provide simple and clear “notes” on how the worksheet was filled in. That is, Rogers Economics helps develop simple documentation to explain in court how you determined what went into the worksheet. Basic analysis covers obtaining key information from the client, filling in the worksheet, and creating the memo that explains the how and what went into the worksheet.
- Alimony Analysis
Alimony issues can crop up with child support or can be independent if there are no children in a divorce case. Rogers Economics can assist with impact analysis of alternative alimony awards.
Visit GuidelineEconomics.com to learn more about our services in the child support arena. The child support analysis is unparalled for rebuttal of guideline presumptive awards. Years of experience in working with attorneys have established a strong combination of legal and economic strategies.
We provide a wide variety of services related to analysis of economic damages. These include:
- Personal injury
- Wrongful discharge or discrimination
- Wrongful death
- Projecting costs for life care plans
- Economic projections for business valuations
- Enhance your case before a jury. Expert testimony is more credible than mere argument alone.
- Increase the odds of a favorable settlement. Opposing counsel will take your attorney's position more seriously.
- Not having proper expert analysis and testimony may be very damaging to the outcome of your case. Courts have stated that claims for personal damages must be supported by qualified experts.
One such example is Todd v. Delta Queen Steamboat Company, 2007-1518 (La.App 4 Cir. 06/17/09); 2009 La. App. LEXIS 1280 (La. App. 2009). In a rehearing, the Court said: "The district court set forth the various reasons why it did not award Mr. Todd damages for future earnings and/or loss of future earning capacity; 1) he did not present an economist in support of his claim; 2) he failed to present adequate evidence to support such an award; and 3) his extrapolation of future wage loss was inaccurate as it failed to take into account tax consequences and use of a discount rate. We do not find that the district court abused its vast discretion in not awarding Mr. Todd damages."
When life care plans are prepared for presentation in court, a key issue is to ensure that the projections meet standards for acceptance as expert testimony (such as the Daubert or Frye standards). Generally, a qualified expert is needed to get life care cost projected admitted in court. Key issues addressed by Rogers Economics, Inc. are:
- Matching life care cost components with the appropriate inflation indexes for medical and non-medical items.
- Determining appropriate inflation rates for each cost index.
- Determining an appropriate adjustment factor for income taxes paid to determine component costs on a before-tax basis (otherwise, invested amounts fall short of meeting the needs of the life care plan).
- Choosing an interest rate that appropriately is based on investments with essentially no credit risk.
- Applying an appropriate discount rate and calculating the present value of total costs of the plan.
Rogers Economics, Inc. can help ensure you that your life care plan cost projections meet the requirements for acceptance in court.
- Revenue, demand and inventory forecasting
- Scenario analysis for various corporate or government needs, including economic impact studies. Economic surveillance at national, regional or local levels for strategic or production planning. Especially useful for foreign corporations interested in U.S. investment opportunities and for government budget planning.
- Corporate and governmental internal databases, expertise in developing and improving databases for a variety of purposes and making them "user-friendly" for employees.
- Marketing issues that can be addressed with survey design and implementation, demographic and other data analysis, and even with the development of internal company data into PR vehicles.
- Human Resource Department types of needs -- including developing contract escalation clauses, employment cost forecasting, and executive performance evaluation
R. Mark Rogers Economic Consulting has a joint venture with Continua Multimedia Development for designing and implementing leading edge, web-based financial applications. Rogers' financial and economics expertise is combined with the most up-to-date web technology for financial applications. For one such venture, visit GuidelineSoftware.com and check out the "About Us" link. Is a web-based financial application in your company's future? Interested in cost-effective implementation of government services through web-based applications? R. Mark Rogers Economic Consulting has the solution.